248 photographs taken by Sue R. Ford, a reporter and photographer for the Kleberg County Farm News (Texas) from the 1940s to the 1970s. The collection includes photographs of homes, buildings, people, and events in the Kingsville, Ricardo, and Corpus Christi (Texas) areas. There are several photographs of the Santa Gertrudis breed of cattle developed at King's Ranch. These shots were taken before the Santa Gertudis breed began to be marketed. It was in 1940 that the United States Department of Agriculture recognized the Santa Gertrudis as a purebred. The name of the Santa Gertrudis breed is from Rincon de Santa Gertrudis, the name of the original land grant purchased by Captain Richard King from the heirs of Juan Mendiola.
Sue R. Ford's photographs depict the country and farm life of Kleberg County during the middle of the 20th century. It was during this time that farming, ranching, and the development of the towns grew rapidly. This growth was due to the St. Louis, Brownsville, and Mexico Railway, oil exploration, and the establishment of South Texas Teachers College (now Texas A&M University- Kingsville).