The Flato family was one of the first families to reside in the newly created town of Kingsville, Texas. Charles H. Flato Jr. moved with his wife Eleanor Louise von Roeder Flato to Kingsville from Shiner, Texas in 1904. During the early years of Kingsville Charles H. Flato Jr. was instrumental starting the education system, establishing businesses, acquiring the "Normal School" (now Texas A&M University - Kingsville), creating many community organizations and promoting Kingsville and Kleberg County. His family carried on his legacy after his early demise. Charles H. Flato III and his wife Frances Chatham Flato were both active professionally and throughout the community. Charles H. Flato III continued to manage the Flato Hardware Company and was active in the community with the school district, county historical associations, business organizations, and county fairs. Frances Flato was the Director of Music at the Epiphany Episcopal Day School, an internationally known judge for flower shows and active in Kingsville and the surrounding smaller communities organizing and participating in Garden Clubs and Women's Clubs.